Ingredients For Vangi Bhaat Powder :
- Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- White lentil – 1 tbsp
- Red chilies – 2
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper corn – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Dry roast all the ingredients except coconut till lentil turns golden brown.
Now add coconut and sauté for a few seconds.
- Let the mix cool down completely and then coarsely grind it and keep it ready.
Ingredients For Preparing Vangi Bhaat :
- Ramajeyam BPT / Sona Masoori – (Single Boiled (Puzhungal Arisi)/Raw Rice) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium
- Brinjal – 3-4
- Vangi bhaat powder (see above)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Soak rice in some water for 30 minutes and pressure cook with 2+1/2 cups of water. Spread the cooked rice in a plate and keep it aside.
- Add oil in a pan and when it’s warm, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add onions and curry leaves and sauté till onions turn golden brown.
- Add brinjal and sauté for few minutes till they are cooked and soft.
- Add Vangi bhaat powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Now add cooked rice and salt to taste and mix well and serve it hot with onion raita.