- Ramajeyam BPT/Sona Masoori (Single Boiled (Puzhungal Arisai) /Raw Rice) – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Water – 2 and 1/2 cups
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram- 2 tbsp
- White Lentil/Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Chopped Green chilies – 1 tbsp
- Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and spread it on a dry towel and let the rice dry completely. Coarsely grind it to break the rice and keep it aside. Do not powder the rice.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When it crackles add white lentil, Bengal gram, curry leaves, green chilies, asafetida and sauté till lentil turns golden brown.
- Then add water and salt and bring it to boil.
- Once water starts to boil, add broken rice and keep stirring. Once the water is absorbed fully, add grated coconut and mix it well.
- Switch off gas stove and let it cool down. When its still warm grease your hands with little oil and take a fistful and form a dumpling.
- Place the dumpling on idli plate and steam it for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy it warm with Coconut chutney.