Idli is one of the most popular breakfast in South India. They are soft, fluffy and usually loved by everyone. Mini podi idlis is a simple variation from regular idlis and can be easily served as breakfast, evening snack or pack in your kids lunch box.
How to prepare the batter :
- Ramajeyam idli rice – 4 cups
- Urad dal / white lentil – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice in a bowl with enough water for 4-5 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal along with fenugreek seeds in a separate bowls for 4-5 hours.
- Firstly grind the soaked urad dal with enough water to make a smooth batter.
- Next grind the rice with enough water.
- Transfer the content in a pan and add some salt to taste and mix it well. If you feel the batter is too thick add some more water and keep it overnight or keep it outside for 7-8 hours for fermentation.
- Do not make the batter too thin. It should be of flowing consistency, not runny.
- Once the batter rises and it has fermented, you can use it to make Idli.
How to Prepare Podi Idlis :
- Idli batter
- Spicy idli chutney powder
- Few curry leaves
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Sesame oil / cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- Grease the idli plate with oil and fill Mini idli plate with the batter and steam it for 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle little water on the back of the plate and carefully take out idlis from the sides.
- Add sesame oil in frying pan and when it’s warm, add mustard seeds. When they crackle add chopped curry leaves and sauté for few seconds.
- Now add 10-12 mini idlis and 2 tbsp of idli powder and mix well without breaking the idlis.Serve it hot as morning breakfast or an evening snack.