This is a flavorful biryani specially cooked with Seeraga Samba Rice. The rice is cooked with grounded masala, coconut milk and various vegetables and can be served with some onion raita.
Ingredients For Grounded Masala:
- Cinnamon – 2 inch stick
- Cloves – 4
- Green cardamom – 3
- Star anise – 2
- Nutmeg – 1/4 teaspoon (grated)
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Black peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- Dried coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Method To Make Masala :
- Dry roast all the spices on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely and then grind to make a coarse powder and keep aside.
Main Preparation :
- Ramajeyam seeraga samba – 2 cups
- Coconut milk – 2 cups
- Water – 1+ 1/2 cup
- Onion – 2 (medium size)
- Tomato – 2 (medium size)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Green chili – 2
- Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Bay leaf – 3
- Mixed vegetables – Carrot, potato, beans, green peas ( peeled and chopped –
- about 2 cups)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 4 tablespoon
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Wash and chop the vegetables and keep aside. Coarse ground mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Wash and soak rice in some water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan.
- Add the bay leaf, green chili, onions, ginger, and garlic and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add grounded coriander and mint leaves and mix it well. Sauté on low flame for a minute.
- Now add the chopped tomato and fry until it gets mushy.
- Now add the chopped vegetable along with turmeric powder, ground Masala powder, red chili powder and salt and mix it well. Remove from the flame and keep it ready.
- Drain all the water from the rice and add it in electric rice cooker along with fried vegetable mix.
- Add coconut milk and water and gently mix it. Close the electric cooker and let it cook for auto set time.
- Open only once the cooker gets auto cut-off.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and drizzle a tablespoon of ghee on rice before serving.